- About Me
- Book Now
- Menopause VIP Club Membership
- About Me
- Book Now
- Menopause VIP Club Membership
Itchy skin is a less common symptom of the peri menopause but can be embarrassing and cause an issue for some women. The good news is that it should be temporary and there are natural ways to combat the scratch.
The itching is caused as your skin becomes irritated, at this time of life it’s due to those pesky hormones but it can also be allergy related and women can find their become more susceptible to allergies too. As the skin becomes agitated, it leads to scratching of the skin which can lead to further dry, flaky skin or bleeding and scars in some cases.
In the Peri menopause our oestrogen levels naturally start to decline.
When it comes to your skin oestrogen helps to stimulate the production of collagen, that’s what makes our skin look plump and youthful, and also helps to produce natural oils to moisturise the skin. So as that oestrogen declines, so does the collagen and oil – hence dry, wrinkly and irritated skin.
The stress hormone cortisol can also play a part in the itching too. When you’re stressed, many mid life women find themselves naturally running on high cortisol due to life laundry on top of these hormone fluctuations. The itching can lead to your body releasing your histamine hormone, and that can cause further itching and skin issues as well as the skin flushing red or releasing heat.
A few women also suffer with Hives, especially after starting a new HRT, please remember any symptom is a sign that your body isn’t happy. If you’re Doctor tell you “it’s normal” then seek some advice. Try a few natural solutions but go back to your Doctor or Health Practitioner if symptoms last longer than a few weeks.
Here's some Natural solutions for your itchy skin.
- Water, hydration is key. We need to keep our skin hydrated inside as well as outside.
- Alcohol and caffeine, these both make you more dehydrated so reduce as much as possible.
- Essential fatty acids, our skin needs essential fatty acids to rebuild itself. Eating foods rich in these can help, include sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, nut butters like almond or cashew. Salmon and oily fish are also good sources.
- Oils are important in our diet, olive oil, avocado oil and flax seed oil are all high in the omegas 3 & 6.
- Eating foods rich in Phyto oestrogens can help.
- Avocados are high in vitamin E, important for our skin.
- Vitamin C is needed to produce collagen, eat more kiwi fruit, sweet potatoes, spinach, citrus fruit or take a high quality organic supplement as our body is unable to store vitamin C.
- Moisturise, find a natural skin moisturiser, ideally organic or with few chemicals which can disrupt our endocrine system and hormones further. Think about your choice of perfume too, if your skin is irritated then swap to essential oil blends.
- Showers, when having a shower or bath, keep the water warm rather than too hot which can leave your skin feeling dryer and reduce the natural oils in the skin.
- Clothing, wear clothes that reduce the need for itching and scratching, cotton and loose fitting clothes may help too.
- Homeopathic remedies to try include Rhus Tox, Sepia, Sulphur and Psorinum – Drop me an email to book your Homeopathic Remedy appointment.
For 121 support and guidance with your itchy skin, Peri or Post menopause symptoms contact me for a Discovery Call to find out how I can help you!
JOIN THE HORMONE FAIRY VIP MEMBERS CLUB!
The Hormone Fairy VIP Club is for busy women in their 40s and 50s who want to improve their hormones, understand the peri menopause, improve their energy and their moods!
This community was created for women like you (and quite frankly like me) who want to balance their hormones and moods naturally, who want to feel supported, heard and understood! Who are ready to be inspired and are motivated to implement some changes in their health and their life going forward.
Click here to be added to the waiting list. MENOPAUSE MEMBERSHIP CLUB
HOW CAN THE HORMONE FAIRY HELP YOU DURING YOUR PERI & POST MENOPAUSE?
Are you struggling with your Hormones, you don’t have to be a hostage to them. This is the prime of your life and it’s time to step into your power, feel happier, sexy and back to your old self.
Let me, Cat The Hormone Fairy wave my magic wand! If you’re ready for something different, ready to take the first step on a journey to a healthier and happier you, then I’m excited to help you make those changes.
- Book a Breakthrough session to find out how you can work with me. Whether that’s 121 Hormone Coaching, Hormone Testing, a Group 30 Day program or a Menopause Mastermind. Click the link below to book a 15-minute chat or drop me a message via the contact page. https://thehormonefairy.gettimely.com/book
- JOIN our Private Facebook Hub where you can ask me questions, learn more of my top tips, feel supported, join challenges and make new friends. Click here to enter https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheHormoneFairy/
- Attend an Training Event Keep an eye out on our Website, Facebook Page, Instagram for our latest training and social events.
- This blog is intended for advice, you are responsible for your own health & wellbeing. Please book a consultation for individualised advice or speak with your GP or Health Practitioner