Derry City and Strabane District Council have agreed to adopt a menopause policy at a meeting on Tuesday.
It is understood that this is the first council in all of Northern Ireland to adopt this kind of policy.
The policy aims to outline what menopause is, reduce absenteeism due to menopausal symptoms and provide support to manage symptoms at work.
It will come before a full council later this month for ratification.
- 'Absolutely awful' symptoms
- Huge support for workplace menopause policies
- NI police consider menopause policy
What is the Menopause?
- The menopause is a natural part of ageing as a woman's oestrogen levels decline
- In the UK, the average age for a woman to reach the menopause is 51
- Perimenopause is the time leading up to menopause when a woman may experience irregular periods or other menopausal symptoms. This can be years before menopause
- Read more about menopause from the NHS here
Outlining details of the policy to elected members the lead HR officer, Paula Donnelly, said it was evidence of the council's commitment to providing an inclusive and supportive working environment for all its employees.
Ms Donnelly outlined to council members how research shows that the majority of women are unwilling to discuss menopause related health problems with their manager, or ask for the support or adjustments that they may need.
The policy sets out the guidelines for members of staff and managers on providing the right support to manage menopausal symptoms at work and has been developed in consultation with the recognised trade unions.
It is hoped the policy will foster an environment in which colleagues can openly and comfortably instigate conversations, or engage in discussions about menopause.
The proposed policy aims to ensure everyone understands what menopause is, can confidently have good conversations, and are clear on the council's policy and practices, supported by Human Resources and Occupational Health.
The Menopause Tribe are available for Menopause Corporate Wellness
The Menopause Tribe, sister company to The Hormone Fairy, are available for in-house Menopause Support and Menopause Café style Meet-ups. Contact Cat and Catherine via the contact link below to find out how we can support you!
How can The Hormone Fairy help you during Menopause?
Are you struggling with your Hormones, you don’t have to be a hostage to them. This is the prime of your life and it’s time to step into your power, feel happier, sexy and back to your old self.
Let me, Cat The Hormone Fairy wave my magic wand! If you’re ready for something different, ready to take the first step on a journey to a healthier and happier you, then I’m excited to help you make those changes.
- Book a Breakthrough session to find out how you can work with me. Whether that’s 121 Hormone Coaching, Hormone Testing, a Group 30 Day program or a Menopause Mastermind. Click the link below to book a 15-minute chat or drop me a message via the contact page. https://www.thehormonefairy.co.uk/book-now/
- JOIN our Private Facebook Hub where you can ask me questions, learn more of my top tips, feel supported, join challenges and make new friends. Click here to enter https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheHormoneFairy/
- Attend an Event Come along to our Monthly Menopause Meet-ups locally, Menopause & Mochas during the day or Mocktails & Menopause in the evening – A chance to chat, learn, share experiences, feel supported, make friends and have fun. There’s also 1 Day Workshops & Retreats, and weekend Retreats to help you get back on track. Keep an eye out on our Website, Facebook Page, Instagram for our latest events. https://www.thehormonefairy.co.uk/menopause-events/